5/08/2007

It's Shake and Bake and I Helped!

Johnny Yen, he of the eloquent posts, tagged me with a restaurant quiz about your 5 favourite places to eat where you live. You're supposed to add a link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you to begin with and say where you're from.

Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, USA)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)
Lulu (Chicago, Illinois, United States)
Chris (Boyne City, Michigan, United States)
AB (Cave Creek, Arizona, United States)
Johnny Yen (Chicago, Illinois, USA)
Dale (Toronto, Canada)

1. Queen Mother Cafe
A great spot on Queen St. W. although some of the tables are a bit close together, try for a booth. Delicious eats, trendy folks. Except for the lady who nearly set the place on fire with her newspaper. I put it out for her. That's how close the tables are.

2. Peter Pan Bistro
Cool little joint with great food - Like many places, they have a slate of their own drinks on the go. I ordered a PeterPantini just to say the name out loud and when it came to the table, it was really green. When I noted this, the waiter said 'yes, it's just like drinking Peter Pan's tunic.' This is not a comment that invites thirst.

3. Avli
Excellent Greek food on the Danforth. The dips are amazing. Really, have the dips. Invite me along.

4. Verona
Nice Italian (duh) joint on King St. with decent wines and a quiet, elegant atmosphere. Also one of my favourite places in Italy.

5. Biff's
One of Oliver Bonacini's restaurants, a nice French bistro with excellent steaks/frites. I don't know any French guys named Biff, do you?

Anyone else hungry? How about Freelance Cynic, Gifted Typist, Molecular Turtle, Old Lady and Constant Winter?

16 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

"yes, it's just like drinking Peter Pan's tunic."

I agree-- this is definitely not a strong selling point.

Those all sound wonderful. I'd probably try the Avli first-- I love Greek food.

I must confess-- I do not know any French guys named Biff. Or any other name.

mellowlee said...

That PeterPanatini waiter is just weird! Despite that, I would order one anyways. What did it taste like? Was it minty? Or lime? If I ever go there, I will invite you Dale. I love Greek food MMM

Joe said...

Mmmm, I think you're the first one I've read to mention Greek food. We have a bunch of tasty Greek places near here, and I even get a discount at one because I work with the owner's kid.

I give you credit for the Peter Pantini. I notice you didn't say whether or not you actually drank it.

668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

the newspaper on fire made me laugh. i did the same thing dining out in a thai restaurant in toronto a few years ago.

X. Dell said...

Hmm. Now I'll know where to go next time I'm in Toronto. Here I was thinking that you guys lived on nothing but doughnuts and Moleson up there.

Nicole said...

I have to say that Peter Pan Bistro does sounds good...what was inside the PeterPantini anyway to make it green?

Ps thanks for doing the tag. If you know of anyone else doing it please feel free to send me a message and I’ll update them too on the updated list of tag doers

Anonymous said...

Peter pan Bistro sounds like cool... except for the tunic :D

Would want to try Biff's out. Sounds like a cool place:)

Thanks for doing the tag :) Lovely recommendations you have there

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Flaming newspapers are such a huge issue in the restaurant business, aren't they? The insurance costs on newspaper fires alone are enough to sink a place.

I think "Biff" is french for "Jerry Lewis".

Gifted Typist said...

Thanks dale, for tagging me (are we supposed to thank taggers for tagging?)

Dale said...

We've got a great 'Greektown' here Johnny, I used to live in the area and loved it.

He was weird Mel, lots of accents and things while he tried to be funny. It was a bit sweet but some lime too. Stop on by and we'll take the place over.

I did indeed drink it Bubs but it wasn't the best thing I'd had, too tunic-y. Discounts are good as long as the food is!

So you're a firestarter? Or a fire putter outer 668? They should have a name for that job no?

It's a large part of the diet X. Dell but once in a while we like to break out of the stereotypes.

Hey Nicole, I'm not exactly sure what the green element was now that I think about it.

Biff's is a nice spot Velverse but at times, a tad pricey. PPan is more reasonable.

Hahaha, excellent Barbara, I love when someone invokes Jerry's name no matter the circumstance.

You don't have to thank me GT but it's Canadian and lovely of you to ask.

Jill said...

Maybe Biff is "boeuf" make easy for you, cuz I saw a lot of english person speaking in french having an hard time pronoucing the "oeuf" and "euil" sound!!

Coaster Punchman said...

So is this Queen Mother cafe indeed devoted to everyone's favorite Queen Mum?

Dale said...

That's a good thought Jill, I'll ask next time I'm there and let you know.

Strangely, it doesn't seem to be too related at all CP.

Holly said...

Thanks for this list, Dale, because near the end of June I will be coming to Toronto for a few days and I have a feeling I might like to eat once or twice while I'm there.

Any chance I could convince you to eat with me, if I promise not to behave appropriately?

Holly

Dale said...

If you absolutely have to eat and promise to be wildly inappropriate, I'll consider it Holly. Come on up! I've emailed you.

Anonymous said...

情趣,情趣用品,巴黎,

SM,G點,按摩棒,
變頻跳蛋,
跳蛋,無線跳蛋,

飛機杯,數位按摩棒,
充氣娃娃,
自慰套,自慰套,
情趣娃娃,自慰器,
電動自慰器,充氣娃娃,
角色扮演,

潤滑液,
情趣禮物,情趣玩具,
威而柔,逼真按摩棒,
情人趣味千奈,情人趣味用品,