3/27/2011

Privy Council

The jury in my brain continues to deliberate on whether I fully 'like' Facebook or not but thanks to someone I don't know prompting a more critical look at my privacy settings, my fear of people I barely remember from high school tracking me down has abated.

A while ago, I received a message from a woman asking if I was the same Passion of the Dale who'd dated her sister in the 1970s.  She gave me her sister's name to jog my memory.  Being a courteous fellow, I replied to let her know she had the wrong man.  She sent back an explanation saying she'd noticed Family Feud (one of several games in my arsenal of time wasters) in my profile and the guy who dated her sister had been a cameraman on the television show.  I found that interesting but now wish I'd asked what her motivation was in tracking this character down, it might have yielded a better story.

When Google was first becoming a part of our lives, I remember doing a search on my own name.  Among others sharing my moniker sat an upholsterer and someone who stood in the forefront of the 3D field.  My interest in upholstery apart from being glad it's around is minimal although the world of 3D interested me at least to the point of doing a school paper on it long ago.

Also long ago is the memory of a friend asking me after we saw Jaws 3D together "wouldn't it be great if everything in life was in 3D?"  We're no longer in contact although if I wanted to be, it's good to know that Facebook could probably help me track him down or failing that, I could contract the job out to Coaster Punchman, cyberstalker extraordinaire.

16 comments:

gennifer6 said...

Are you no longer in contact because your friend said it would be great if life were in 3D? That would probably do it for me.
And with a name like yours, you can always fake it. Nope, wasn't me!!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I, on the other hand, am so glad that life is actually in 2D. It's so much easier when you people can't escape the sheet of paper and actually touch me.

Allison said...

My name is far to common in a Google search, I never come up with anything interesting. I was Googling something once (probably random lyrics) and all the search results pointed to my own blog, which I found amusing. Sadly, not in the least helpful.

Dale said...

That's exactly why Gennifer6! I have a list of prepared excuses at all times.

I feel you Barbara or I would if you'd just ramp up to 3D capability!

That's hilarious Allison. All roads lead to you, it's lyrical really.

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

I love vanity Googling. That, Wikileaks, and this is what the internet was invented for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cds7lSHawAw

Dale said...

Loved the link Mistress. I've been that baby and I think I've been in that bar too!

網頁設計 said...

hooray, your writings on theater and writing much missed!

Zed said...

I just hate that 網頁設計 beat me to saying once again how much I love your writings on theater. Darn!

I'm already living in 3D and believe me when I tell you it's not all that it's cracked up to be. It's sort of dizzying in fact, and you have to wear those stupid 3D paper-frame glasses all the time. Not chic at all.

BeckEye said...

So wait...is it still OK if I Facebook stalk you?

Also, please to be writing more about the writings and theater. And don't forget to boycott American women.

Dale said...

You always know what to say 網頁設計 !

Maybe if I lend you my fancy plastic glasses Zed, 網頁設計 will pay more attention to you. We have to end this war!

Yes please Beckeye. Don't make me boycott you!

Doc said...

Oh it is good to see you back ol' friend. We've missed you here in blogdom.

I was wondering if maybe I could interest you in a little blog fun? Flannery and I both write for a group called Flash Fiction Friday. You get a week to pen a story to go along with the prompt and at the end of the week everyone reads everybodies stories. It has saved my blog from totally petering out and it really is a great group of writers. I just thought with your marvelous imagination and your command of a turn of phrase, you would be a natural. Swing by and take a look. I'm hosting this week and Flannery and I both wanted to extend you this invitation.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.flashfictionfriday.com/

We are also one Facebook if that makes it any easier. Just search Flash Fiction Friday.

Thanks,
Doc

Coaster Punchman said...

Thanks for the props. I am fairly pleased with myself over my latest feat. I will email you the details.

X. Dell said...

About the woman finding her sister's old lover: somehow, the term 'paternaty' comes to mind.

Is there no escape from FB?

Dale said...

Great to hear from you Doc and I've read some of your FFF as well as Flannery's. Interesting stuff for sure. Fiction isn't my strong suit but maybe I'll give it a go one of these days. Thanks for the invite.

If ever I need assistance in tracking someone down, you're my go to Punchman CP.

There can be no escape X. Dell. This is the way I pretend I am still young, by having an account to begin with.

Anonymous said...

My "google self" apparently is some brilliant doctor. Excellent :)

Dale said...

I expect nothing less than brilliance from you Suze, good going!