1/12/2008

Regrets, I've Had A Few

The talented Mr. JDC of The Wilwoods fame challenged me not only to talk about regrets but to be honest, a tall order because there's little I enjoy more telling big fat lies - honest!

The order was this:

You’ve just learned that tomorrow you will die at sunrise. Tell me the five things you regret and the five things you don’t.

I'm starting with a few things I don't regret.

1. Starting a blog. It's been a creative (sometimes) outlet and put me in touch with fascinating people who teach me more about them and myself with every read.

2. My last act at work before leaving for the holidays - deleting the phone messages I hadn't gotten to. The sense of abandonment and relief was delicious.

3. Moving to the big city. Leaving my small town provided me with a world of opportunity and the occasional motive.

4. Spending practically every cent I earn. If I end up dying with so much as a dime in my pocket, I'll be very upset.

5. Dying at sunrise. I hate to be kept waiting and if I knew my endtime would be sunset, I'd just be bitching and moaning all day; this way, it's up, maybe time for a coffee and a smoke and poof, I'm gone.

Thinking of things I do regret took a lot of time because they're legion.

1. Not applying myself more. This applies to most aspects of my life.

2. That I'm not better at the art of conversation. Actually that might be more a regret of people who get stuck talking to me.

3. Not writing more regularly (see #1).

4. The time I waste caring what other people think.

5. Throwing ice chunks at that kid in Grade 5. Correction - getting caught, he was a creep.

There are many more things I'm thankful for and also wish were different but those are for other times, other posts.

Thanks for the test JDC and for making my brain hurt.

Anyone else? Try it, you won't regret it.

22 comments:

EditorJDC said...

"That I'm not better at the art of conversation. Actually that might be more a regret of people who get stuck talking to me."

This is the best!

JDC

X. Dell said...

Number two strikes me as particularly odd since you are so facile with words here, and your knowledge of film, music, pop culture and other subjects seem to be tailor-made for breaking the ice.

Methinks you're probably a much better conversationalist than you give yourself credit for.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were very good at the art of conversation so what does that say about me????

Dale said...

Haha, glad you liked it JDC. Small talk is not my friend.

As my pal CP is fond of saying X. Dell - I'm better on paper. It's a good thing I don't find awkward silences all that awkward.

It works better when you've known me a while I think Sandra. All I know about you is you're an excellent human.

Writeprocrastinator said...

I'm surprised that someone like you who is so intuitive with people and their blogs, isn't that much of a conversationalist in real life.

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Regret 4. I'm with you on that one.

Joe said...

Dale, you are wonderful and so is your list. I'm glad you haven't applied yourself more, if you had you wouldn't have time to cook up the entertaining posts you give us on your blog.

Coaster Punchman said...

"Applying yourself" is for suck ups and hacks. You're perfect.

Dale said...

Oh, I can talk WP, I'm just not good at small talk. Or large talk. I drool a lot.

That's a total non regret Patrick, I'm a spender and I'm okay.

When I eventually get arrested Bubs, I'm calling on you as a character witness. I promise to continue my ascent into slackerdom.

There's no question that I'm perfect CP, thank you for recognizing it.

EditorJDC said...

Sorry to pop this on you, but there is a second half to this meme. This time I want to know how you plan to fix the specific regret, or what led to this type of regret.
JDC

Anonymous said...

Thinking of things I do regret took a lot of time because they're legion.

1. Not applying myself more. This applies to most aspects of my life.


What didn't you apply to yourself, and how much time was consumed by the applications you did make? Was there a greasy residue and did it have anything to do with the sporadic applications? I'm put off by residues of all sorts, myself. Hence my own lack of application.

Cup said...

You are so deep. It's like we're twins of different mothers.

Cup said...

I was going to use this as my post head. Damn you to hell, Bee Boy [fist shaking to the heaves as only Chuck Heston can]!

Dale said...

JDC, what are you trying to do to me?! At least I don't have to come up with more secrets and lies. I'll put my poorly fitting thinking cap back on.

No words Holly. Okay, a few. Residue, ick, hilarious.

I'm as deep as a mud puddle Beth but I appreciate you trying to make it seem like I may go as far down as a pothole. And as long as you don't put my head on a post, I'll be happy.

gennifer6 said...

You seem to do just fine conversing in writing. maybe you're just a better communicator with the written word than the spoken.

Think about it. How good would you be at the art of conversation if you had the opportunity to write and edit what you said before you say it?

Dale said...

An excellent point Genn6, if I could, I'd edit practically everything that comes out of my fool mouth. Can you work on a system I can adopt? Thanks.

gennifer6 said...

Real simple, my friend.
1. Create your own talking points and practice them out loud and burn them into your brain. When you have "important conversations" like politics, religion, breaking up with someone, write those out, too in advance. Write whatever comes to your mind and then edit the hell out of it.
2. Always find a reason to follow up someone else's comments. The more you work on it the better you'll get, the faster you'll come up with something to say. If I say something to you about "Dale, the premiere of 'American Idol' is tonight and you know Flann's watching!" You have several directions you can comment in. If you don't know anything about Amercan Idol, you can mention Flannery, something else that is on TV tonight, another show premiere coming up that you know about and watch, you can ask me about the show and if I plan on watching it. There's six different responses you can throw out from one sentence.


That's all I got so far that Iknow works. ;)

Dale said...

Even though it's a 2 point system Genn6, I'm not sure I'm capable. It's the shut-in life for me!

gennifer6 said...

Then practice on IM. ;)

Dale said...

Haha, will do!

Jill said...

I'm suprise with regret #2! You seem like a well articulate men on here and someone that doesn't have his tongue in his pocket!
And did you just said that you were a smoker?

Dale said...

I will no longer admit to anything Jill. You're too late!