12/03/2006

Diggin' On The Doc Of The Day

Because I'm an impressionable old fart young blogger guy, when people recommend things to me, I like to go off and find them quickly before I'm distracted by something shiny.

I love music documentaries and have found some real gems by listening to other good blogging folk.

Take our friend Bubs for instance: he sent me off Searching For The Wrong Eyed Jesus and this happened.

Urgh! A Music War was well worth the look too for some wonderful moments and those sparks I blame on the Shroom-Monkey.

Then, Holly had to do it; she brought me back to church through a little film called New York Doll. My only problem with church? I always lose faith in it.

In my last Friday random ten list, there was a song that got Johnny Yen asking if I'd seen the documentary called Dig! Barbara also said it was something to behold and so off I went to look for it.

Dig! is an odyssey that covers a seven year itch in the lives of two bands, The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols. It begins with both groups tripping over their raw potential as they preach respect and praise for each other but eventually, their plans for musical revolution get lost in a fog of drugs, ego, mental illness and the politics of the music biz.

One band takes a path the other can't possibly follow and everything manages to travel downhill and up at the same time. Singer songwriter Miranda Lee Richards, daughter of comic book artists Ted and Teresa Richards, makes a good point. She says that the 60s bands that were into drugs were famous first and not the other way around and this has a lot of bearing on the proceedings. She also gets an onstage seat during one of the frequent meltdowns by Massacre frontman Anton Newcombe.

The ending to this piece hasn't been written yet though and I'm not counting anyone out. I have seen a glinting and glaring devolution play out before my eyes with sadness, joy, violence and passion. I know, it's only rock n roll but I like it.

I rate Dig! 2 swift kicks in the head.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dale- I've been dying to see Urgh for a long time-- it's not out on DVD yet-- you must have gotten ahold of an old VHS copy. Don Letts' "Punk Rock Movie" just did come out on DVD, and sounds like it's along the same lines as Urgh, and looks like it's worth a look. I have a more recent DVD of his, "From Westway to the World," his documentary about the Clash. That one is wonderful.

Haven't seen New York Doll yet-- it's on my Netflix queue.

Great review of Dig! by the way.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Very nice review! You certainly do Dig! way more justice than I ever could have. I think I just muttered something like "man that guy is wacko" because I am eloquent like that.

X. Dell said...

Very good. When I get a chance, I'm gonna catch up on all my music documentaries. You never know when you can save a lecture or two with a good flick.

SlayGirl said...

something shiny...teehee. Uh, is it my imagination or did the font on this post get progressively bigger? I think I'll come back when I have had less sejuice in order to tell what yur really sayin. rock on dude.

chelene said...

Maybe it's just me, but your blog appears to be tripping on acid right at the moment.

Dale said...

Hey Johnny Yen, it was an old copy but I'll email you about it. Punk Rock Movie sounds cool and so I'll have to take a look for it too. You know, I shouldn't say it but I don't know a whole lot about the Clash either so adding it to my list. Thanks!

Hey Barbara, I love muttering the same profound things and then trying to put them into words.

Drop everything X. Dell and sample a few of them for your classes.

Slaygirl, it's not you, it's me! Something wonkier than sejuice going on.

Thanks Chelene. I think I've got the kinks ironed out. Well some of them anyway. My link list is screwed. I had to revert to an older template that I had saved to restore order. But never fear, you're right there!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, I have managed to see the last half of "Grey Gardens" and can't wait to see the first half. So from now on any documentary you recommend I will watch. I love documentaries.

mellowlee said...

I love documentaries too. Hope all the bloggie weirdness is done for the time being. Speaking of Docs, John Lennon Imagine just came on TV wow. How cool is that? :)

PS I really want to see Dig! now!

Cup said...

I keep missing Dig! on IFC .....

Maia said...

I have no idea what you're talking about.

That is, I don't know anything about any of these documentaries. But I just noticed my name (well, Worms! isn't really my name, but sometimes I wish I could pretend it was!) is now in your list of blogs and I wanted to say Thank You. I am honoured to be in your list of blogs.

I must go. Work this semester has been like a ten-car pile-up on the interstate.

Dale said...

Isn't it something altogether amazing Old Lady? You need to see the first half and you'll still be trying to make some sense of it I'm sure.

Well Imagine that Lee! How was it? Last night I couldn't sleep and watched a short HBO doc on the movie channel called Positively Naked that took me by surprise. I didn't know what it was about and although it was only about 1/2 hour long, packed a lot of emotion in.

Stop doing that Beth!

Hi Geeti, I added you because I expect you to write more and entertain me. No pressure. But do it.

mellowlee said...

Oh Damn! I saw that title while scanning the digital cable guide, but didn't check out what it was. If I had known, I would've watched it too!! I was also busy blogging at the same time that Imagine was on. It's so rare that I get the computer for a few hours at a time, that I wanted to take advantage.

Dale said...

It'll be on again, it's on digital cable here too and the 'on demand' thingy so you'll have more chances. It's just premiered I think Lee.

Anonymous said...

So, 2 swift kicks to the head is good? I have the movie to watch but now I'm not sure if you liked it or not. 2 out of 5 or 2 out of 10?

Dale said...

Good point Bluez, it's a little ambiguous. I was thinking 2 thumbs up so I'm giving it a good rating. It's me and the guy who lives in my brain rating it.

Anonymous said...

Damn I've missed you.

Two swift kicks to my head, please.

Saviour Onassis said...

I love love love the movie DIG!

There are many valuable lessons to be learned in it. Note to Self: Become Famous RockStar... Then Have Nervous Breakdown.

Needless to say, it's a little late for me... Since I spent most of the nineties tripped out of my gourd in a sequined gown. Which brings me to the following head's up: a BBC doc about "The Return of Courtney Love" is rumored to be aired on VH1 around Dec. 16th... Including Carrie Fisher telling a fresh-out-of-rehab Courtney that if she wants to stay out of the tabloids, she needs to live a "tabloid free life."

Anyway, when do they go into production on the documentary about YOU, Dale? I hear Mel Gibson is interested in directing...

Anonymous said...

This movie was awesome! I'm keeping it through the weekend and watching it again. I may have to FF past that coffee table scene...

Dale said...

I missed you too Angela.

The Courtney doc sounds pretty awesome Saviour and I should have figured you for a Dig! lover.

Someone needs to interview you, not me. You've got some fascinating stuff going on and have stories to tell. Mel would probably work with me, I got all my parts.

Excellent Bluez. So? 2 swift kicks? 3 coffee tables? What's your rating? :-) Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

I have to give it a 5 outta 5 stars (or swift kicks if you must) however, I would have called this movie "Derailed". It was like a horor flick you don't want to watch but you keep looking. Was a good lesson on narcissism and dysfunction . I would love to see Anton get over himself and make a sober record and be discovered for the talent he is, not by his temperment and addiction. Loved this movie even more the second time.

Dale said...

I'll be watching it again myself Bluez and no doubt finding even more to love. I'd like to see Anton really put it all together too.