12/28/2006

You Had Me At Hiiii-Ya!

I could say that I've gotten a lot of martial arts exercise during my recent festival of laziness but then I'd have to explain that this means I've pretty much just been laying around and watching Bruce Lee movies for a couple of days. Using the remote to backtrack and find the spot before you nodded off can be a real workout, just ask me. Can someone bring me more snacks please?

As a Christmas gift this year, I got the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection on dvd. It includes Way of the Dragon which my Dad took me to see in the early '70s. It was a real treat to get to go to the movies with him since he was always working or busy. The only other time I recall him taking me to the movies was the summer that Jaws changed the way a lot of people thought about going for a swim.

The Bruce Lee dvds came with this story from John who bought the set for me:

I remembered you saying you'd seen the dvd set on the Top 20 wall at HMV. I went and had a look when I was there but didn't see it. So I asked the girl in the store for help. She spent a lot of time trying to find it in their computer system nothing was showing up. I said to her, I know the Jackie Chan dvd set is in your Top 20 so how can you not find it? She apologized after checking again and said, the only thing we have is a Bruce Lee set. I realized my mistake and felt like an idiot so I just said thanks and left. On my way out, I spotted it there on the wall. I went back later after I was done my other shopping and bought it.

Now, in addition to big screen Bruce being tied to a special memory for me, the dvds are tied to a funny story as well.

Way of the Dragon hasn't yet made it into the dvd player but when it does, no doubt I'll be transported back to when happiness was as simple as sitting next to my Dad in a darkened movie theatre.

15 comments:

Old Lady said...

I like Jackie Chan a lot better than Bruce Lee. But, I also liked Bruce Lee on Batman!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

"Never explain, never apologize" is being put to proper use there.

Malnurtured Snay said...

Happy New Year!

X. Dell said...

Does this DVD set include Bruce's last movie? The one made after he died? The one that has a shot of his actual corpse?

Dale said...

You're a funny lady Old Lady. You did mean The Green Hornet right?

I think it is Barbara and that's okay by me.

Hey Snay, Happy New Year to you too!

Unfortunately, it does X. Dell. I didn't even know about the history of the film until after I got the set and read something about it, pretty damned distasteful.

Joe said...

What a wicked cool gift Dale. So now you think your kung fu technique pretty good, eh?

SlayGirl said...

I liked your story Dale. Your boxed set sounds good. Have fun watching it!

I try to remind myself everyday of the impact I have on my kids lives. This post reminded me that something as simple as reading to them or seeing a movie with them can have an impact on their lives and is something they may remember fondly for a long time.

Old Lady said...

Yes, I meant Green Hornet, I had a vapor lock!

Coaster Punchman said...

Oh no, Dale. Does this mean that in addition to trying to develop an appreciation for the "Star Wars" films I have to get started on kung fu movies as well? George would certainly like me better for it. But I don't know if I have that much to give.

Berry said...

I think your friend John was standing in line behind my frazzled hair stylist.

Incidentally, me and the family saw Jaws in the theatre during our summer beach vacation in Wildwood, NJ. I have questioned my folks' parenting skills ever since.

Dale said...

My technique is all about balance Bubs, balancing the popcorn bowl and drinking while laying down and watching.

Nice point you make Slaygirl. It's very true unless the movie has Dakota Fanning in it. That may not get remembered so fondly.

All is forgiven Old Lady. You had a vapor lock.

Relax CP, all you need to do is marry Becky, that's your job. Although I bet you'd love the film 'Hero'.

I loved your frazzled stylist story Berry. Children's Aid clearly should have been called with parents like you suffered with. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your festival of laziness Dale. Christmas comes but once a year.

I have fond memories of being taken to see Jaws & Star Wars, but they're offest by the traumatic memories of being taken to see the Billy Jack movies.

Dale said...

Ah, Billy Jack, I'd just almost blocked that memory Pink Fluffy, my brothers were into the Billy Jack and Walking Tall movies. Happy New Year!

Tumuli said...

I never knew you were a Bruce Lee fan! From your descriptions, I'll probably have go dig around for more of his films...

Dale said...

He's captivating Tumuli although the films themselves are a little hokey. I think the happy memories frame my enjoyment.