9/02/2006

Too Cool For School

Erik posted about a literary hoax over at his site in this post which had me recalling a similar bit of fun that took place when I was a younger pup.

Many moons ago, in my sister's graduating class was a student I'll call Jim. Jim, my sister and the rest of the student body loathed the principal who I'll call Joanne. Joanne seemed to have one purpose and that was to run her school with an iron heart and a personality devoid of warmth.

Jim was a straight A student, in several clubs and yearbook editor as well. He was one of those all round great guys everyone seemed to like. He hatched and executed a plot securing himself local hero status among student bodies in the district for years to come.

Joanne involved herself in all aspects of student life and liked to keep her wary eye on everyone. All yearbook submissions had to be run by her for approval before publication. A poem looking back lovingly on school days penned by Jim passed muster and went to publication.

Just before it did, Jim did a little rearranging causing the poem to read like this down one side:

F
U
C
K

Y
O
U

J
O
A
N
N
E

This didn't do much to lighten Joanne's disposition but it did briefly shift the balance of power in TinyTown.

Ah, school days.

12 comments:

Coaster Punchman said...

Too bad Joanne caught on. But in your own words that you used to describe my answering machine trick on Mama Gin: "Brilliant and devious."

Dale said...

Devious indeed. She had to catch on as everyone was talking about it. Poor thing's long departed this earth but I'm sure she's still cursing him somewhere.

Chancelucky said...

I guess that's why they say the pen is mightier than the sword.

Dale said...

I think you're right. Although for this age where people word process, I wonder if the adage should be changed?

Mob said...

The keystroke is mightier than the sword?

Great story, it's always nice to have the least likely accomplices in on the shenanigans, it lets the authorities know that you can't 'profile' everyone.

Dale said...

Haha, very good Mob. Maybe we should change sword too though for something more modern?

X. Dell said...

Maybe it was a coincidence. Like the JFK assassination.

Mob said...

The keystroke is mightier than the Saran Gas?

Modern problems...

jin said...

Hilarious story! Hmmm...gives me a few ideas, albeit 'devious' ones...heehee.

What about:
The keystroke is mightier than the current tight-ass in charge?

Dale said...

You might be right. I think they could have used that defense had things gotten to that point.

Modern problems indeed Mob. Not quite the same ring to it but good choice.

Not bad Jin, I'll consider that one as well when I try and get everyone to change.

Cup said...

I love "Jim."

Dale said...

He was a
H
E
L
L

O
F

A

G
U
Y