6/25/2006

You Don't Nomi

Does anyone else remember seeing Klaus Nomi performing with David Bowie on Saturday Night Live in 1979? I did and recall thinking it seemed like aliens had landed and gotten really good booking agents.

Since I was too busy learning my phone number around that time, I didn't give the scary monsters another thought. Until I saw the cover for Simple Man somewhere in my travels and thought, oh, they must have cleared Klaus for landing again.

My next close encounter was this morning when I watched the documentary The Nomi Song. I'd read something about it and thought I should learn a little more.

Und I did.

There are some interesting interview clips with people who collaborated with and supported Klaus on his rise to the middle of the new wave performing fringe and some of the stage footage is definitely captivating. His great pipes and presence are on clearly displayed but so is a real feeling of loneliness.

This slice of life doc is chock full of creativity, betrayal and tragedy. Or as it's known around here -- Sunday.

And if you hated that, you might like this - The Mayor of Sunset Strip.

7 comments:

Cup said...

Dale! Did you rent The Nomi Song, or was it on cable? I've wanted to see The Mayor of Sunset Strip, too; was it good?

BTW, loved you next-to-laugh paragraph; got a good laugh.

nouseforaname said...

I remember Klaus Nomi performing on Urghh A Music War. I love that film, used to be on high rotation back when the USA Network had Night Trax. If you have never seen that film it is a must. Where else can you see concert clips of Oingo Boingo, early Go Go's, The Cramps, The Police, Echo and the Bunnymen and even Devo? But 1979, I was a wee monkey..

Dale said...

If you promise not to say anything Beth, I'll tell you that I downloaded it. The Mayor, I watched on the movie network here. Both were good and featured kooks, I mean misunderstood people.

Shroom - they mentioned Urgh in the film and I remember someone having the soundtrack when I was in university. I'll have to track down the movie and give it a look and a listen now. Thank you baby monkey.

Saviour Onassis said...

I love both of those documentaries. The subjects seemed to have many things in common. What sad, lonely men...

I think it's criminal that no one came to see Klaus in his final days. What a unique soul...

These are both required viewing, in my house.

Dale said...

The loneliness was on full display in both films.

I felt bad too about Klaus not having support at the end but understood it based on what came before.

Curator said...

Well, I’ve emerged from my hiatus. Your memory of David Bowie on SNL reminded me of where I was when that episode aired. I was ten years old. My family was on our annual, summer vacation to Florida. My cousin, Lori, who frequently traveled with us, was watching SNL with me after everyone else had gone to sleep. When David Bowie came on, I was giddy with excitement. In those days any hint of gender bending or cross-dressing drew me like a ten ton magnet. I questioned her about their queer ways, but she blew it off as publicity. Of course, it was just that, but I never forgot the exhibition. It was the day I learned that men could wear skirts.

Dale said...

Just because they can doesn't mean they should Robert! That was such a wild show. Good to see you back and thanks for the memory. So to speak.