11/06/2013

Fool Britannia!

A while back, I had the opportunity to shift focus and start work in a new area.  This meant I got to keep all my old material and fling it at a somewhat interested new audience.

I now sit across from and in front of a couple of cheeky and charming British women both of whom have accents I could and do listen to all day.

Not long after I pulled up stakes and joined this group, another of my team members remarked to the British contingent while I was away:

"Isn't it a coincidence that all the Brits ended up sitting near each other?" to which the question was raised "Who do you mean?"  "Well, you two and Dale.  You all ended up sitting together!"  "Dale's not British."  "Oh? I thought he was because of his accent."

My voice, if you've heard it, does not sound like I was raised in the United Kingdom.  This is largely because, I wasn't.  My voice has a simple east coast Canadian trying not to sound too much like the trash I came from tone to it.

I'm not sure what we can learn from my co-worker's aural error other than to put some stock in the fact that perhaps regular ear cleaning can help you understand the world around you.

In the meantime, I remain pleased to sit near good folk who have an excellent and intriguing command of the language, who still laugh at my tired old jokes and who are as charming as fuck.


10 comments:

Coaster Punchman said...

Clearly this "colleague" is retarded, er, mentally challenged. Occasionally I am mistaken for someone or something I am not, but for the life of me cannot come up with a current example. But it comes in handy when you want to murder someone and need an alibi. "Dale? No, it wasn't him because the British guy did it."

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

People often mistake me for a fancy pants because I talk good.
Also, I'm so excited to happen upon what appears to be your annual blogpost event!

Weird... I also have been communicating with Vegetable Assassin and then Coaster out of the blue

I'm sensing a Blogger revival.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You can look at this as an opportunity to bring in all your favourite British treats to share with the office. You know they are just dying to try your Bubble & Squeak and your Spotted Dick.

SkylersDad said...

People have remarked about my distinct "Lack of any accent whatsoever" voice. That probably comes from being raised in the isolation of the mountains. We just pointed and grunted.

Dale said...

I'm definitely going to add this to my defense strategy Coaster Punchman. I forgot about your legal prowess!

Hey Layyydy! You are a fancy pants! I'm all for a revival especially if it's not one of those sad oldies music thingies I'm always running across on PBS.

I think I'm going to have the affair catered Barbara, i couldn't stand the pain if my squeak didn't live up.

Pointing and grunting worked for many many years Skyler's Dad so it's perfectly acceptable. I can't even detect an accent in your typing.

VEG said...

People always think I'm Irish. Or Australian. Occasionally Canadian. I've lived all over the damn place so I guess my accent's softened a lot. However, when I'm angry the Glasgow is apparent :) I have a Scottish accent for sure but I don't have Billy Connolly living in my vocal chords or anything...

Dale said...

It may be time for an audio post Vegetable Assassin so we can hear the dulcet mixed up tones for ourselves!

obat herbal glaukoma said...

pengobatan penyakit glaukoma secara alami tanpa operasi

Obat Herbal Glaukoma

obat herbal kanker hati tanpa operasi said...

great post

obat herbal polip hidung said...

excellant post

Obat Herbal Polip Hidung