5/29/2006

From The Vaults

I get bored, I watch old movies. I never seem to focus on what I should. I sometimes write about them.

Last night, it was The Ghost And Mrs. Muir. I vaguely remember a television show of the same name that aired in the late 1960's which is shortly after when I first aired.

Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison play the title characters. George Sanders also pops round for a bit in the middle. But most compelling of all is a young Natalie Wood as Mrs. Muir's daughter.

Gene rents the seaside house that belonged to Cap'n Harrison who promptly begins to haunt her. Other stuff happens but every time there is a scene near the water you can't take your eyes off of Natalie Wood. Careful Natalie! Not too close to the water!

You know Christopher Walken's in a boat in the distance in at least one of those scenes.

The film was enjoyable but made little sense.

8 comments:

chelene said...

Your review of "Jean Brodie" was a hoot! As for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, I've never seen the movie and I was scared of that show as a child. The only ghost I was on friendly terms with at the time was Casper.

Dale said...

Glad you liked it Chelene. The 'Muir' thing was one of those good Sunday afternoon things, not sure why I watched it on a Sunday night!

Anonymous said...

I can never take my eyes off any scene with Natalie Wood. Man alive was she beautiful. Shame how things turned out for her. I've never been able to look at Robert Wagner with anything other than disdain.

Dale said...

The camera loved her Creepy, that's for sure.

She only had about 20 seconds in this movie though and was very young so I thought I'd just be my smart ass self.

Curator said...

I know…I know! She prefers to wash up on shore. I’ve heard it before.

But seriously, Mr. Wagner, I too suffer from a lack of focus. The guilt is the worst; I wish I could just enjoy it.

Dale said...

Of course you're talking about Richard Wagner right Robert?

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember this movie, too--the way he dictates his memoirs to her and she ends up with a successful novel she can't imagine how she wrote. That part wouldn't be so bad....

Dale said...

Yes, she's able to live comfortably from The Mystery of the Salty Seaman.

Sounds like a rejected Nancy Drew title.