5/28/2007

Two Johns Walk Into A Blog

When I'm not busy tracking the movement of my neighbors or my hairline, I can often be found spending my time rather constructively. While it may appear to the casual observer that I'm simply sitting around in a daze, I can assure you my brain is on fire trying to sort out the answers to all the BIG questions like who's going to get popped on the series finale of The Sopranos and could my whites could be whiter?

Now that I think I've cleared a little space in there, I've been busy catching up on some of my favourite blogs. As usual, I'm struck by all the unbridled creativity on parade. While I haven't known either of these two characters long in a blog sense, they both have projects on the go that are exciting and worth tracking.

John Donald Carlucci is planning to launch a web only free magazine called Astonishing Adventures Magazine. He's enlisted some A-List talent to contribute but is also seeking input and submissions from others interested in the pulp genre and more. Give this post a look and all you writers get cracking.

Another John, the one called Mr. Mutford, has been busy with his bid to take part in Canada Reads, a panel discussion on books with Canadian celebrities inciting us all to get reading. As an avid and interested reader, John would like to see real people (namely himself) represented on the panel. He has a Facebook petition set up that will hopefully land him front and centre with the powers that be. Have a look and help make him some headway. Then he won't blame us if he ends up an internationally ignored superstar.

If we can save just one child from the Jolie Pitts, all this strenuous typing will have been worth it.

Let it never be said that I'm not at least as useful as a pipe.

15 comments:

Tanya Espanya said...

As useful as a crack pipe, maybe?

Chancelucky said...

Dale,
thanks for giving me these peeks into Canadian culture. I'm glad that we're so sophisticated down here that we pretty much have eschewed all book shows.

Joe said...

Dale, you might want to change the name of your blog from "Passion of the Dale" to "Dale: Gateway to culture" or something like that. You sure know about a lot of cool stuff

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wee correction: Canada Reads was only televised one year, I think (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong as it seems to be the thing to do around here). Now we can only imagine how dashing and handsome Mr Mutford is as he pimps his book choice.

I sure wish I had some amazing adventure stories to tell, as I love the heck out of that title.

Dale said...

I know you'd inhale if you had the chance Tanya.

We have a BOOK TV channel you can subscribe to here Chancelucky, or at least we used to. I don't know, can't read the TV guide.

Seems we all know a lot of pretty cool stuff Bubs. Maybe I'll just change the name weekly. Like my underwear.

Darn! I thought that might be the case Barbara but wasn't sure because I'm illiterate and blind. Thanks for the update (I've changed it now). I bet you have a lot of amazing adventures to share.

Writeprocrastinator said...

Dammit, I gotta change my name to "John" so that I get more done.

John Mutford said...

Thanks Dale, I appreciate the support. It struck me the other day that no one has ever questioned the radio quality of my voice. If I was to make it on and sounded like Professor Frink, you'd all look like a ripe bunch, eh?

I don't think I had mentioned this before, but in one of the earlier years of the show I had written the Canada Reads people asking why they only used celebrities. The response wasn't that it was for ratings but that those people were more accustomed to speaking on the radio, using that medium, or something to that effect. Wouldn't Rex Murphy have a tough time of it doing his Cross Canada Checkup if only celebrities could call in?

But they might be right, I would drool on the mike a lot.

This past year I read that Jim Cuddy kept tapping on the table with his pencil during the show and the sound people were going nuts. At least I wouldn't do that.

Coaster Punchman said...

Are you talking about your teeth or your undaweahs?

Jill said...

Stop buying crack for Tanya, at least while she is pregnant!!!
Are you starting to have some calvity??

Moderator said...

Canadians read???

BeckEye said...

I thought this post was going to be about online prostitution. Damn.

chelene said...

Between the title of this post and the content of your last one I think you're trying to draw in a more..um, "mature" crowd, Dale.

X. Dell said...

Um, is that a lead pipe or a steel one?

Those two sites are interesting. The pulp magazine one would interest a friend of mine, so I'm going to refer him to it. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

Dale said...

I don't know, John Procrastinator? Doesn't have the same ring to it WP.

You need to do some test audio blogs John and see if we really should be lending you so much support blindly, or deafly. I see Rex Murphy, exotic creature that he is, as I work close to the CBC building here. There are a lot of people that makeup has no effect on.

Your Brooklynese rings through wonderfully CP. I was thinking more of a conduit. Pipe does leave it too open.

She gets what she wants Jill, it's always been that way, if it's crack she wants...

We rite 2 Grant. How about the Merricans?

Then I would have named it Call Me Beckeye. Call me Beckeye.

But you still came anyway Chelene, sweet young thing.

Pass it on for sure then X. Dell, run it through your own pipeline.

John Mutford said...

http://bookmineset.blogspot.com/2007/06/canada-reads-2008-geeks-mission-part.html